School days are right around the corner! One area that parents have some control over for back-to-school savings is lunch related. Packing a lunch for students saves money, resources and helps prevent waste.
No-waste lunch tips
Pack your lunch in a reusable bag or a lunch box
Wash and reuse
• plastic containers for sandwiches, soup and snacks
• plastic water or juice bottles
• locking plastic bags for crackers, carrots, cookies
Bring your own
• reusable forks and spoons
• cloth napkins
Save packaging – buy large, pack small
• Choose large bags of snacks like pretzels, chips and raisins over individually packaged ones
• Pack single servings in reusable containers to save resources
By planning and creating weekly meal plans, you can reduce waste while shopping, too. Stock the fridge in one trip, and you’ll save time and resources too.
Check out other back to school resources in our previous kids in school posts.