Clever costumes and Portland seem to go hand-in-hand this time of year. One idea shared with Resourceful PDX was from a mom who created Halloween witch costumes for her two young daughters – out of a 80’s style, black lacy prom dress!
Start planning now for your own Halloween costume, and take advantage of all the great resources Portland offers for making, swapping or renting a costume.
Make a costume
Used clothing and reused craft supply stores allow you to create a unique and inexpensive costume of your own making.
- Find cool homemade costume ideas online. Pinterest offers a wealth of ideas to inspire you! Explore ways to get crafty, adorn a costume, and make hair wreaths or masks.
- Find all kinds of fabric and supplies at SCRAP for super low prices and costume ideas on their website.
Reuse a costume
There are great finds lurking throughout the city. Consignment, second hand and thrift stores are great resources for costumes, or clothes to make costumes. They also often have used costumes for sale leading up to Halloween.
- Vintage clothing shops abound in Portland, with clothing options for all decades.
- Many children’s resale shops have kids’ costumes as well.
- Bonus! Chinook Book offers coupons for many Portland area resale shops and the Resourceful PDX map shows Resale Shops too!
- Or attend or plan a costume swap – your friend’s costume from last year may be perfect for you this year.
Rent a costume
Short on time or crafty abilities to make your own? Renting gives you options for a stand-out costume.