We are more than a month into the New Year! How are you doing on your resolutions? Did you make any commitments to organize, de-clutter or simplify? It’s never too late to rethink how to manage your stuff.
Live more simply this year
Resourceful PDX is about making small changes in your everyday choices to live more sustainably. Our stuff makes up a big part of this – how and where we buy stuff, how much of it we have in our homes, and even how we keep it all organized.
Have less stuff
One of the most sensible ways to achieve that elusive organization is simply to have less stuff.
Check out the stuff that you have around your home. Is it meaningful and durable? Does it add enhancement to your life? Are there things around you that just add clutter or distract from quality time with family and friends?
Get rid of a lot – a little at a time
Another favorite tip: whenever you’re cleaning a room, get rid of at least five items, whether it’s a piece of trash, an old magazine, or just something you haven’t used in ages.
Could it be that easy? Perhaps. Especially if we take some small steps to help us manage our stuff and include proper disposal of unwanted or unneeded items.
If you have the time and energy to do a bigger room or whole-home clean-out, planning ahead is the most resourceful option. Sorting and organizing your items before passing them along allows others to get the most benefit from your stuff.
5 steps to declutter
- Schedule a block of time. Whether you have 10 minutes or more than an hour, knowing your time limit can help you to stay focused.
- Choose a room and stick with it. Pace yourself but set goals for when you want to have each room finished.
- Have the materials and resources you need on hand, like containers, boxes, sticky notes, scissors and tape.
- Divide your excess possessions into: things to sell, things to donate (for reuse or future swap) and things to store and bring out later.
- For some people, having a partner can help too. Choose someone who will help you stay focused and hopefully have buy-in for decision making.
Make Resourceful PDX a part of your year to get tips and resources for places and events that can help you live more resourcefully in Portland. Do you have resourceful ideas or resources to share for the New Year? Drop us a line.